This tomato sauce is full of flavour and is simple to make. Make in advance, freeze and use as a pizza topping or tomato sauce for many uses. I usually double or treble up the recipe to cook ahead and freeze.
Makes topping for 5 10-12 inch pizzas, matches essential neapolitan pizza dough recipe.
- 400g can chopped tomatoes. You can use any kind but if you can get San Marzano then do.
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch salt and pepper
To make the sauce:
- Put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil, immediately turn down to a simmer.
- Leave simmering for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and take out the bay leaf and garlic clove from the sauce.
- Use a hand blender to blend into a smooth sauce.